- 3/23/2020 - Extended School Closure
- 3/20/2020 - Details for Today's Supplies Pick Up
- 3/19/2020 - Supply Pick Up Update
- 3/18/20 - Virtual Education Details
- 3/16/2020 - Google Classroom
- 3/15/2020 - This Week's Schedule FAQs
- 3/13/2020, 4 pm - School Closing Announcement
- 3/13/2020 - Communication & Plan Update
- 3/12/2020 - Health Update from Administration
This afternoon Governor Wolf announced that all schools statewide will remain closed through at least April 6, 2020. Therefore, LCCS will continue virtual, online education through April 3, 2020. We will then hold Spring Break as scheduled, without classes, April 6-10. All after-school and extracurricular activities are cancelled through April 10.
We look forward to seeing everyone today when you come to LCCS to collect your student’s supplies between 12 and 8 pm. You have two options:
- Enter the Building by the early childhood drop-off doors on the Worship Center side. We will allow 10 people into the building at one time. You must also exit through the same doors. If you have something to collect from a locker, you must enter the building. Runners will not get anything from a locker for those using the drive through.
- Drive Through is available if you are not comfortable entering the building. Please join the carpool line similar to afternoon dismissal. When you pull under the portico, a runner will collect your child’s supplies and bring them to your car.
- Bring your Race for Education labels and drop them off in the main lobby or give them to the drive-through runner.
- All medications will be sent home. Pick them up in the main lobby or alert your drive-through runner that you need them.
- 6th grade students who still have instruments at school must take them home today.
- Lost and found items are on a table in the main lobby if you need to look for something that has been misplaced. You must enter the building to look at the lost and found. Drive-through runners will not be able to find things for you.
In light of recent announcements from Governor Wolf requiring non-life sustaining businesses to suspend operations, LCCS will not be open on Saturday for pickup of school supplies as originally planned. However, to prepare for the launch of the LCCS virtual learning program next week, it is imperative that all LCCS families pick up school supplies from the school tomorrow between 12 and 8 pm.
Please make plans to stop by the school lobby where school supplies have been categorized by grade level and laid out on tables. Students in the middle / upper school will also be permitted to retrieve books and materials from their lockers.
If you are not comfortable entering the building to get your child's supplies, a drive through will be provided.
There are many details involved as we look forward to online, virtual education beginning Monday, March 23. Please read this email thoroughly.
Teachers are working hard to prepare their Google Classrooms with dynamic lessons and activities. Starting Friday afternoon, March 20, you will begin to see invitations to their classrooms. An invitation to join the classroom will be sent to the student’s LCCS email account. Students/parents will need to log in to the student’s email account, open each Google Class invitation, and click “Join” to join the class. Students are enrolled in each classroom that pertains to them. (Early childhood & lower school: one for the student’s classwork and one from Mrs. Hodges. Middle & upper school: one for each core course. PE, art, and music will also each provide a classroom of enrichment lessons.) Parents of middle and upper school students who desire access to their child’s work without logging in as the student, must have an active gmail account and must email their child’s teachers to be added as observers to the virtual classroom. Observers will receive a weekly summary of their child’s progress.
LCCS Account Log-In Information
Every LCCS student now has a LCCS account. To access your student’s LCCS email account, go to gmail.com. Student email addresses are formatted as follows: (student first initial)(student last name)(student graduation year)@student.lccs.cc. For example senior John Smith’s email address would be email@example.com.
The log-in password for students in preschool-grade six is formatted Lions(student birth month)(student birth day). So if John Smith’s birthday is March 17, his login password is Lions0317. Students in grades 7-12 should know their account password. They can share their password with their parents/guardians. If the password needs to be reset, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Each teacher will hold daily office hours. The office hours will be posted on the COVID-19 section of the website and in each Google Classroom. As always, you can also reach out to faculty via email at any time.
- Early childhood & lower school teachers will host their office hours in a variety of methods which they will communicate directly to you.
- Middle & upper school teachers will hold Google Hangouts Meet for parents or students who would like to have a live conversation to ask questions and obtain extra support.
Materials Pick Up
All students in preschool-grade 12 must pick up their materials at LCCS on Friday, March 20, 3 pm-8 pm or Saturday, March 21, 9 am-12 pm. Teachers will have materials prepped and ready in the main lobby. All student medication will also be sent home for the duration of the school closure, and sixth grade students will have their instruments to pick up. Please stop by within these hours at a time that is convenient for you. We will allow 10 people into the building at one time. If you do not feel comfortable entering the building, please pull up under the portico and we will bring your supplies to you. Unfortunately, the lower school library will not be available to check out books.
Due to updated social distancing recommendations, in-person virtual classroom training has been cancelled. Instead, video tutorials will be emailed to you and posted on the COVID-19 section of the LCCS website. Stay tuned.
Race for Education
If you did not return your Race for Education labels to your classroom teacher last week, plan to bring them with you when you pick up your materials on Friday or Saturday. We hope to proceed with this crucial LCCS fundraiser.
In addition to required core-course assignments, we will also provide Google Classroom enrichment opportunities for art, music, and PE. We know these classes are often our students’ favorites, and at LCCS these classes haven’t been cancelled! The best part? Our goal is to create activities that invite the whole family to get involved.
The LCCS Admin Team met this morning to formalize an ongoing plan for our students to continue their learning during the COVID-19 pandemic mandatory school closure. Under current circumstances, the 180-day school year is not required by the PA Department of Education. However, we plan to require valuable virtual, online education during this time. Beginning Monday, March 23, LCCS will launch an online, virtual learning program using Google Classroom.
This week, March 16-20, no work will be assigned or required of students. Teachers will take this time to train and prepare their virtual classrooms and lessons. LCCS google accounts will be created for lower school students who do not already have one, and passwords and account information will be provided to parents so they can access their child’s work. For middle and upper school students, parents who desire to access their child’s work, must have an active gmail account and must email their child’s teachers to be added to the virtual classroom.
Because there will not be work assigned for the week of March 16-20, the third marking period will end on Tuesday, March 31 instead of March 24. Achievement testing is postponed indefinitely.
Beginning Monday, March 23, Google Classroom will be the central location where all teachers will post assignments and activities. However, your child’s virtual classroom can also be accessed at any time through your Family Portal (ParentsWeb), in the weekly lesson plan section.
Virtual Classroom Training
To assist parents and students with accessing and navigating their virtual classroom, a training video will be created and emailed to parents and students as well as posted as a resource. This video will provide detailed instruction on how to access and navigate Google Classroom and Google Hangouts Meet. Optional, live on-campus training sessions for both parents and students will be available Friday, March 20, at 3 pm, 4 pm, and 5 pm and Saturday, March 21, at 9 am, 10 am, and 11 am. Training sessions will last approximately 45 minutes. If possible, parents and students who attend should bring a device.
Pick Up Supplies
Materials for next week’s online virtual classrooms including books and personal items should be picked up this Friday, March 20, 3 pm-8 pm or Saturday, March 21, 9 am-12 pm. The school building will be open during these times if you need to get anything from your child’s classroom or locker. When you are on campus to collect your materials, the lower school library will also be open for students in preschool through grade 6 to check out books.
Daily Student Schedule
Work will be assigned based on the approximate times below:
- Early Childhood: 1 hour per day
- Kindergarten-Grade 2: 2 hours per day plus additional reading
- Grades 3-6: 3 hours per day plus additional reading
- Middle & Upper School: 30 minutes per core course per day plus minimal homework.
- Please note: Upper school students in Spanish 1 and 2 must complete 17 total hours for the third quarter by March 31. If you need to know how many current hours you have logged, please email Miss Richardson.
Student expectations and rubrics will be communicated later in the week.
Teachers will provide daily office hours through Google Hangouts Meet for parents or students who would like to have a live conversation to ask questions and obtain extra support. You are welcome to join the conversation as needed. You can always reach out to faculty via email at any time.
Specials teachers will provide Classrooms as enrichment opportunities in PE, art, and music. If the school closures are mandated beyond these two weeks, PE activities may become required.
Event Updates Changes
- Shark Tank, March 26 - Postponed
- Spring Fling, March 27 - Postponed
- Grades 7-9 Semi-Formal, March 28 - Postponed
We appreciate your patience and flexibility regarding this very fluid situation. We are working hard on a plan to best serve our families. However, not all of the details are completely finalized. As more information becomes available, we will continue to communicate here and via email.
What is the schedule for this week?
The LCCS Admin Team is meeting together on Monday morning to formulate a plan and schedule for virtual, online education. We will send a follow-up communication Monday afternoon with more details. The launch of our virtual learning program is dependent on a number of factors including available technology and adequate training for teachers. We appreciate your patience in this unprecedented situation.
When will virtual, online education be implemented?
We are not certain when we will launch virtual, online education. We want to provide adequate time to teachers to prepare and instructions to be drafted so we can best support you as parents. As soon as a schedule is finalized, we will communicate that to you.
When can I enter the building to pick up medication, items from my locker, educational materials, etc.?
As soon as a virtual education plan is finalized, we will let you know when the building will be open for students to collect their things. If you need to access the building for a more immediate reason, please let us know.
Will we need to make up the school days that we are missing?
We have seen conflicting information from the PA Department of Education as to whether or not these missing days will need to be made up. We hope to gain clarity on this in our meeting Monday morning to help us formulate a more defined plan.
Will there be after-school activities, athletic practices, or musical rehearsals this week?
Athletics and Sports Clubs: There will be no practices, open gyms, workouts, or meetings for the foreseeable future. The PIAA is recommending cancellations of all team workouts. Please check your email for individual workouts designed by our LCCS coaches and Athletic Department.
The Wizard of Oz: All rehearsals for this week (March 16-20) are cancelled.
Lower School Clubs: All lower school clubs are cancelled during this time.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any other questions.
In light of Governor Tom Wolf’s recent mandate that all PK-12 schools in PA close for two weeks, LCCS will be closed beginning Monday, March 16 through Friday, March 27.
We are currently working hard to set up virtual classrooms for our students to attend class remotely. However, this will take some time as we train our teachers on the necessary technologies and prepare the content for distribution to students.
Please stay tuned for regular communication as we work out the logistics and begin to develop a plan.
As we continue to monitor and address COVID-19 in Pennsylvania and throughout the county, we have created a communications hub as a location for easy access to all communications, resources, and event updates. You can access LCCS.cc/COVID-19 for the most up-to-date information available.
Plans are being finalized for the possibility of needing to provide virtual, online education. We are looking forward to the opportunity to prepare LCCS faculty and staff for this worst-case scenario. Monday, March 16 will be used as an in-service day to train teachers to facilitate on-going online school days and more thoroughly disinfect the building. During chapel this afternoon, middle & upper school students reviewed the basics of possible online learning processes. They will be more thoroughly trained during school on Tuesday. Additional communication and instructions will be sent to all parents next week. Middle & upper school students were asked to take all instructional materials home with them as a precautionary measure. If needed, LCCS will open the building to early childhood and lower school families who may need to pick up materials next week.
In anticipation of virtual learning, all families must complete this brief technology survey by midnight tonight or as soon as possible.
As of today, school is not being cancelled beyond Monday. However the situation is rapidly evolving. We will continue to provide updates as things unfold and new decisions are made.
Updated Event Changes:
- Kids Night Out for this evening has been postponed.
- All after-school activities on Monday, March 16 are CANCELLED. This includes sign language club, athletic practices, and the 3rd/4th grade basketball game at New Covenant Christian School.
- The PIAA has suspended all athletic competitions through March 27. There will be no games or meets. However, practices will be held as scheduled beginning Tuesday, March 17.
As news of the coronavirus continues to evolve, LCCS is committed to taking pro-active measures to maintain a safe and healthy environment for our students, employees, and their families. We will continue to partner with you during this time to help reduce fear and stress which can cause further health concerns. We will also continue to communicate and provide updates via email as needed. Please be aware that this information may change quickly in the coming days and weeks.
Current LCCS Efforts:
We will remain vigilant in monitoring the status of all illnesses that could present a threat to our students and families and will continue to implement best-practice techniques at school.
- Surfaces that students come in contact with are regularly disinfected.
- Housekeeping continues to regularly and thoroughly clean the school.
- Students are required/encouraged to wash their hands with soap and water prior to eating.
- Posters are hung around the building to encourage proper hygiene and cleanliness.
- We are monitoring daily attendance trends for abnormalities due to illness.
In order to prepare for the possible need to cancel on-campus school and move to virtual, online education, there will be NO school on Monday, March 16. This will give us the opportunity to train teachers to facilitate on-going online school days and more thoroughly disinfect the building. Because we have a snowday built into our schedule that we have not utilized, Monday’s cancellation will not affect the school calendar. We understand that this is short notice, and we apologize for the inconvenience. We believe this is an important measure for the safety of our students and readiness of our staff.
- ACSI Speech Meet - Friday, March 13 at Lehigh Christian Academy – CANCELLED
- LCCS Grandparents Day – Thursday, March 19 – POSTPONED. As a result, this day will be a full day of school for all students.
- LCCS Spring Concert – Thursday, March 19 – POSTPONED
We will communicate changes to future events as needed. We are closely monitoring the progression of the coronavirus and will make decisions according to recommended guidelines in the best interest of your students and families.
How can you help:
- Reinforce frequent and proper hand washing at home.
- Follow the LCCS illness policy outlined in the parent-student handbook:
- Your child should be fever, vomit, and diarrhea-free, without medication, for 24 hours before returning to school.
- Students with a potentially communicable disease should remain at home until verification can be obtained from a doctor.
- If possible do not travel outside of the United States at this time.
- Notify the school if you or your students have been exposed to anyone with a confirmed coronavirus case.
- Be cognizant of where you are obtaining your information regarding the coronavirus. Here are resources you can reference:
Thank you for your support as we work together to ensure the health and safety of our students, employees, and families. Please continue to pray with us for the health and quick recovery of all those affected.